FIRE CAN DESTROY
- Fire destroys forests, pastures, homes, fields & livestocks.
- Fire kills people.
- Prepare fireguards early in March / April – June.(Fireguards must be more than 9 meters wide. You can do this by ploughing, harrowing or practising early – burning.)
- Use fireguards to protect your fields, pastures, homesteads as well as forests.
- Form fire-fighting teams in your communities.
- Put in place community fire alert systems (drums, whistles, bells).
- Fight it using tree branches, fire beaters, shovels, water bowsers, fire tanks.
- Report cases to Community Leadership, Forestry Commission, Zimbabwe Republic Police & EMA.
FIRE DANGER RATING
- Know the danger or risk of fire spread before starting any fire.
- Means that it is safe to start a fire.
- Means that you can start a fire; but with caution.
- Means that you must not start open fires.
- No open fires between 31 July and 31 October.